PokerOffice Users Forum  
Old 2006-02-09, 16:21   #1 (permalink)

Default Bad session?

Hello. I am trying to get some feedback on my dreadfull.,dreadfull, dreadfull session of poker.
I generally play about 20% starting hands and 10% of those I raise. I am going to name the hands I lost with.

A,Ks (twice) Both with top pair ragged boards.

A,Ko With inside draw but ended up making top pair on turn. Lost to a inside river str8.

AA (3 Times)

KK (Twice)

QQ (Once)

JJ (Once)

4 Sets 3 of them with ragged boards.

I missed everyone one of all 7 Flush draws

I missed both of my open ended str8/flush draws.

And 2 open ended str8 draws.

I was speechless as I sat there playing hand after hand knowing full well I should quit in between 30/40 BB.
I could not rip myself from the game. I kept telling myself to keep playing solid poker and it will swing back. It never did! I lost 67 BB for the session and finally hit the leave button.

The last time I had a session that bad was the 3rd week I started playing online which was about 3 years ago.

I guess what i'm looking for is a little feedback on wether this is even possible, is it? When I had a bad session my 3rd week into poker 3 years ago it was because I sucked and played everything suited and/or connected.

Do nights like this really exist?
Is it a bogus site?
Could people see my cards?
I found myself asking all these questions.

Any thoughts/suggestions/questions you may have is welcomed.

I am sorry if it sounds like i'm crying and being a sore loser. I was just very amazed by the situation before me. I never encounterd such a continuous onlaught of horrible beats. It really made me doubt my game. I never did that before.

Thank you everyone.

PS: The session was played at Paradise Poker (Where PokerOffice is not available!
Old 2006-02-09, 19:04   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Bad session?

Ouch! That's ugly

I was reading a post on the 2+2 forum where they were talking about bad streaks. Your situation is normal. It happens to everyone, even the "pro's" on 2+2.

Bad beats are going to happen (even to me :grins ). As long as you are playing solid poker, you should still be +EV over time.
kcmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-11, 03:24   #3 (permalink)

Welcome to my day yesterday. I was playing .50/1.00 at one of the prima sites. in 248 hands I lost 45 dollars. Does not sound like much but to me it was. It did not matter what I played. I was in an unraised preflop position with 4-2o
The flop came 4-4-9. I was bet into and raised and called. Then a 2 came on the turn. Im sitting with a fullhouses. Again I get bet into and I raise and he calls. The river comes with another 9. He bets into me and I know hes got me. I call and he shows 9's over 4's. That was just a portion of the day. I went in KQ suited and raised. I then flopped 2 pair. On the river a theres 3 spades on the board and a moron with 3-4 completes the flush. It goes on and on. Probably my worst day of poker ever(at least it feels like it). Anyways today is a new day. Taking some time away from playing online and just using poker academy pro to work on the game. It will happen again I know. But thats ok. The moron's who play everything will eventually give you there money and go away. The same guy who won that 4-3 flush was broke an hour later losing 60 bux. Play solid and it will turn around( I Hope ).

Good luck
Sharkedbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-14, 03:31   #4 (permalink)

My thanks to you and the others that replied to you. I had the same type of day yesterday. It was so bad I even asked PartyPoker to investigate a player because of the unbelievable plays. I got their generic reply. Now after reading your stuff I can accept it as just one of those things. Thanks again for proving I am not alone.

Alan
AlanWPThomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-23, 00:16   #5 (permalink)

Not to open up a whole new can of worms, but when you mentioned Party and a certain player making unbelievable plays in your last post, my ears pricked up. I recently read a string on 2+2 about some Trojan Horse programs that do allow people to see your cards (may be bogus...). A very long posting ensued. I bet if you go to 2+2 and search on Trojan Horse, the string may come up. I hate to be a doomsday speaker, but if such programs really do exist, it may be the end of Online poker as we know it...
docsmullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-23, 04:48   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Not to open up a whole new can of worms, but when you mentioned Party and a certain player making unbelievable plays in your last post, my ears pricked up. I recently read a string on 2+2 about some Trojan Horse programs that do allow people to see your cards (may be bogus...).
If you have a firewall and up-to-date anti-virus software, you won't have a problem.

Cood
Old 2006-02-23, 04:50   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Hello. I am trying to get some feedback on my dreadfull.,dreadfull, dreadfull session of poker.
Babe Ruth had a long batting slump. An interviewer asked him if it made him nervous. Ruth said no, it makes the pitchers nervous.

Think about it, and hang in there. Your day will come!

Cood
Old 2006-03-01, 16:18   #8 (permalink)

:tear
I know exatly where you're coming from mate! I've just come from a another bad night's session...for the second time in a month, I've lost a monster pot to a bad beat...
I often play aggessively and raise preflop with A(x)s to see 2pair or pref. a flush draw...anyway The first time, I played it real cool and even put a moderate raie in on the flop narrowing the field to 2 players (me incl.) and $300+ Pot! On the turn, I make my flush. The Board is T T 4 9 with three being clubs along with my A(x)s anyway the guy re-raised and I went allin to see his pair of K's against my Ace High Flush...enter the river card K :anger he cleans me out with a full boat!
Then Last night, a little more aggession but ame point except I pushed all-in for $75 on the flop..going for a pot-steal or a flush! Anyway it turnsout the guy who re-raised had hit trip 10's (swet for me too...you'd think!) he calls my allin and I make the flush with the one of the only two cards in the deck that could beat me...a 2 to pair the other 2 on the board...result 10's full of deuces :tear
I just wonder if that's something you gotta learn to live with and console yourself that more often than not, you should win the monster pots with Ace High Flushes v Trips/Straights......
Just out of interest, doesanyone think I'm mad playing the flush draw agressively??
Morpheus2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-05, 09:33   #9 (permalink)

CGIJunkie,

Such is variance... You should get Poker Academy Pro. When you see those same "bad beats" happen in the trainer, then you'll realize that it's all just part of the game.

No, poker is not rigged. No, they can't see your cards (well, not without you willingly installing a program that will it). No, the sites aren't bogus.

As I said, after you can get a true feel for what the "long haul" means, these little blips become nothing more than that: blips. Ya gotta remember, anytime your opponent makes a mistake, you win. Maybe not right now, maybe not even in 100 hands. But them making mistakes is how you make money. You *want* them to call with crummy hands. Yep, every now and then they are gonna suck out and beat your pocket aces with 72o. It'll happen. So what, in the long run, you are gonna make a killing off that mistake by your opponent.

Don't be results oriented. If you can look back and say "I played this hand perfectly", then you *will* win in the long run. You've been playing for 3 years (much longer than me, btw), so I'm sure you already know all of this

That, and switch to no-limit The ability to exert pot-control is a wonderful thing. You can really punish your opponents on their draws, something you can't do as well in limit. Of course, it takes a lot more guts and courage to play NL, but IMO, it's the best game in town.
patk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-05, 21:33   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
No, poker is not rigged.
And just how do you know this for sure?

The most any of us can do is assume that poker sites arent rigged - and that is not the same thing by a long chalk.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote